Athletes Foot (Tinea Pedis) is a very common fungal infection that is usually easily treated. Some of the most prevalent symptoms include:
- Itching, burning or stinging of the skin in and around the affected area.
- Redness or rash in and around the affected area.
- In severe cases, blisters that ooz or crust over.
- Raw, inflamed skin.
- Dry skin that is cracked or has scales.
- Discloration, thickening, or crumbling of the nails.
Athletes Feet tends to develop and thrive when the feet are warm and moist. The condition commonly affects the toe region but can form anywhere on the skin where ideal conditions exist.
Prevention involves keeping the feet dry as much as possible; change socks often and only wear socks once before washing.
If the condition persists, it is recommended to see a Podiatrist or other foot care specialist.
Several brands of Insoles include a wick absorbing top cloth and/or an anti-microbial top cloth to absorb moisture and reduce fungal causing bacteria. Superfeet, Sof Sole and Spenco all have anti-microbial top cloths to reduce odor causing bacteria and all include moisture absorbing materials.